The cemetery was opened on 28th November 1856, the Church of England section being consecrated by Bishop Gilbert of Chichester, followed by a service in All Saints Church. The first burial was that of ‘Yorky’ Smith.
To see Plan of cemetery click on Cemetery Heading on green menu bar above.
Cemetery Walks -
Walks to be announced : if you would like to arrange a walk see Contact page.
"the grave's a fine and private place…" exploring Hastings Cemetery
Why not rest, relax and reflect awhile, sitting on the OHPS / FoHC seat, located on EL, and take in the magnificent view.
The Friends of Hastings Cemetery website is a compilation of stories related to some of the graves in the Borough Cemetery. (Use the Google search facility on the first page, or go to http://friendsofhastingscemetery.org.uk/storiesaz.html )
Mostly we concentrated on the older plots, and private memorials to the casualties of the first World War.
Others have been researched following enquiries, or by a researcher being fascinated by the memorial, or what is written on them, or in some cases, the dilapidated state of the memorial.
In the process we compiled a database of extant memorials in A -
This database now been converted to a pdf file by Alan Jeffries (to whom many thanks) which is searchable.