This page should redirect in five seconds -
All the burial grounds of the borough of Hastings, with the exception of the newly-
The parishes, however, being unable to agree as to the site, the Burial Board was dissolved, and the Town Council petitioned Her Majesty’s Privy Council for powers to constitute them a Burial Board for the whole borough.
In the meantime an extension of the period of closing was obtained by St Mary-
From Hastings Past and Present, Diplock 1855 p. Lix in the appendix Note 67
The first burial, in 1856 was that of John “Yorky” Smith, a builder from Yorkshire,. The first monument in the Cemetery was in the following year at AB J24
Thomas Brett recorded "The First Monumental Stone in the new cemetery was erected to the memory of Major-
The monument is no longer there.
Illustrated London News -
We regret to record the death of Major-
To see more history of the Cemetery click -