Friends of Hastings Cemetery
From 1988 only the north chapel was in use, this was enlarged to include a cloister. A glass walkway was added in 1993 and the south chapel was converted into a flower viewing area.
The Garden of Rest consists of a sunken garden, with a central fountain.
Cremation: future expansion to consider provision of cremation buildings and apparatus [Council Minutes of Proceedings 1901 p.344]
Also suggests small area for possible crematorium or chapel; estimated costs £4185 [Council Minutes of Proceedings 1901 p.455-
May 1938 the Council adopted a proposal to ask the Ministry of Health to approve the scheme, at estimated cost of £12.500.
Council applies for £12,500 loan for new projected crematorium. Nov.1939;
Cremation Council conf. (350 delegates) held at Hastings pier. Jul.1949;
£20,000 town crematorium scheme approved. Dec.1953
Oct 3 -
Manual workers one-
Hastings Crematorium was built in 1955 and incorporated two 1856 Gothic burial chapels. The crematorium is owned by Hastings Borough Council and the conversion was designed by the Hastings Borough Engineer, Sidney Little.
The 1856 buildings were built of local sandstone, the conversion included the construction of a central apex linking the chapels, the cremators were in a building behind and the chimney and flues were concealed by a tower.