Friends of Hastings Cemetery

Hennah Family continued

In the same year his daughter Elizabeth was born. She later married F A Langham.

Edward Hennah was the Chief Officer of the Hastings Coast Guard Station at the time of his death.  [Langdon, Christopher. Square toes and formal: sketches of some of the people and places who   have been associated with Young,Coles & Langdon over the past 175 years. [3rd ed],   Hastings, Young, Coles & Langdon, 2008]

Edward Hennah (1800- 1849) [above] died before the opening of the Borough cemetery and is buried at All Saints, being a resident of St Mary-in-the-Castle at the time of his death, 15 Mar 1849, aged 48.

Ashburnham Rd no.2 Dudley Villas, Capt. Edward William John Hennah, RN, 1874.

S S BASUTO, 2,742 tons, 1892 was lost with her crew of 57

'In reference to the missing steamer Basuto, of [?] Bucknall Steamship Line, which was engaged in the Persian Gulf trade, the Orkney Herald of [?] January I says -"She left Manchester on December 9 for Bassovah, and as she was not reported passing Gibraltar, some anxiety arose as to her fate and, as much as 100[?] guineas was paid for re-insurance a week ago, after which she became uninsurable.

The ship had a fine cargo, valued at £100,000, and it is very rarely that a vessel so loaded is unaccountably lost, they are either run aground or sunk in collision.  There is a bare possibility of a collision to account for the loss  but the two vessels lost (the other the steamer Franklin, of Glasgow, which left Penarth for Milto December 11, and has not since been heard of  were bound on the same course practically as far as Malta.  

Mr James Williamson, the chief officer of the Basuto, was well known in South Australia, and was, at one time officer of the Kaffir, of the same line.

In their report at the end of January the Liverpool Underwriters' Association stated that the steamer Gibraltar had been in company with the Franklin and Basuto on December 13, when entering the Bay of Biscay, and encountered a fearful gale, which the captain described as the worst he had ever experienced.

On the 14th the Gibraltar lost company of the Basuto and Franklin, and neither of those vessels was again seen.

The Basuto had a splendid executive in Captain Drummond and Messrs Williamson, Laing, and Fidler, chief, second, and third officers.  The Basuto was here on December 30 1901[sic], from Melbourne under Captain Udd [sic], and left for London on the same date.