Friends of Hastings Cemetery
James, born c.1822, and Mark, born c.1829, were the sons of James Lansdell of Battle, Builder and Carpenter, and his wife Martha nee Breeds, of Hastings. They are buried at St Mary Church in Battle, with two other of their children.
The Lansdell Estate consisted of property in the High Street, Mount Street, Parks Yard and Whatlington Street in Battle, and Breeds Place, Castle Gardens, Castle Hill Road, Pelham Crescent and Wellington Square in Hastings.
The estate was developed by James Landsell and let to tenants. His sons James Henry (a solicitor) and Mark James Lansdell (a surveyor) continued to administer the estate after his death.
Article in The Times, Saturday, 23rd June 1866
GENTLEMAN MISSING. -
Mysterious Disappearance of a Gentleman.
Sussex Advertiser East Sussex, 1 Aug 1866
HASTINGS. Return of Mr. James Lansdell.—ln reference to the announcement recently made in all the local public organs as to the sudden departure and mysterious absence of Mr. James Lansdell from his home, we are happy to be able now to state that he has………..