George Henry Leighton in 1884 married Fanny Louisa Foster, who was born in Hastings. They went to live at 44 George Street in the Old Town, just behind Marine Parade. Their first child, Caroline Amelia Leighton, was born in 1885. She was followed by George Alfred Leighton in 1889 and Elsie May Leighton in 1891. In 1891 Census, address is given as 45 George Street.
Kelly's 1895 Sussex Directory lists George Leighton & Co. as tailors at 44a George Street. The "& Co." may be a reference to George's brother, Charles, who in 1891 was employed as a tailor at Linslade in Buckinghamshire. Charles moved back to Hastings and may for a few years have joined George at George Street. By 1899 he set up on his own as a tailor at 185 Queens Road, Hastings.
Hastings and St Leonards Observer -
MR. G. H. LEIGHTON.
The death occurred on the 16th inst„ at the residence of his sisters,14, York-
Deceased was the eldest son of the late Mr. George Alfred Leighton, of the Railway Hotel, St. Leonards. He left Hastings about 14 years ago for Eastbourne, where he carried on a business. He was staying with his sisters at Hastings for the benefit of his health. He leaves a widow, one son, and two daughters. Previous to leaving this town the deceased was a prominent member of the Hastings Rowing Club. He was joint secretary, and one year won the Hankey Cup. The funeral took place on Monday, in the family grave the Hastings Borough Cemetery. The Rev. A. M. Mardona (Vicar of Halton) officiated.
Thanks to Sussex Postcards, from whom some of this information is drawn. http://www.sussexpostcards.info/publishers.php?PubID=361