Friends of Hastings Cemetery

John Paine & Rachel Adams

AL A10

The inscription on this stone has fallen off and lies below.  To identify it, it was cross checked with the grave to the right of it. (Kenward - AL A09)

John Paine Adams was 53 when he died on the 16th of October 1879.  He was born in Dover.

His wife, Rachel, died on the 29th March, 1922, aged 90.  She was born in Appledore, Hampshire.   In the 1891 census she was living at 2 Trinity Place, Cambridge Road and was a ‘lodging house keeper’.

An Annie Player, aged 27 is listed at the address, Relationship - Friend, Occupation - Adopted child.

There was some difficulty identifying the right John & Rachel Adams.

In Hastings John P Adams was the Publican of the Cottage Inn :
1859/J P Adams/../../../Post Office Directory

In the 1861 Census the address is 27 St Andrew's Terrace; publican John Pain [sic] Adams.

1866/J P Adams/../../../Post Office Directory

By the 1867 directory this has changed to 39 St Andrew's Road; publican John Pain [sic] Adams.

John P. Adams (Cottage Inn), hslo 28/2/1874

John Abraham Maplesden, of Sedlescomb, applied that the license of Mr. Adams, of the Cottage Inn, be transferred to him.—Granted hslo 14/4/1875

 The sign of the public-house in St. Andrew's road heretofore called the Cottage Inn, is changed to the Falmerston," Mr. Maplesden, late of Sedlescomb, having become the landlord.  28/8/1875

Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 18 October 1879
October 11th, at 40 St Andrews-road, Hastings, after five days  , John Paine Adams, son of the late John Adams, Civil Engineers and Land Surveyor, of St John's Wood, London, aged 52 years.  Much respected by all who knew him.

Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 25 September 1880
Mr. CARLETON J. LEWNS Is favoured with instructions to DISPOSE of by PRIVATE TREATY, the EASE and GOODWILL, together with the FIXTURES and FITTINGS of the old established business, in the above line, successfully carried on for many years by the late Mr. John Paine Adams, Nos. 40 and 41, ST. ANDREW'S ROAD, HASTINGS.  The premises are held for an unexpired term of 10 years, at the exceedingly low rental £60. There is a large and extensive connection already existing, but might, by diligent canvassing, be easily doubled, and to business men an excellent opportunity offers for a safe and lucrative investment.  Full particulars to price, average returns, Ac., together with order to view, may be had on application to Mr. C. J. Lewns, Auctioneer and Business Transfer Agent, 41, Havelock-road, Hastings.


The area of greatest change in the Queens Road street scene is the area around the site of St. Andrews Church and the former Gas Showrooms.  This whole area had been St Andrews Road and before that St.Andrews Terrace until, in 1883, following the visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales the previous year, it was renamed Queens Road and the properties were re-numbered; for example, No 36 St Andrews Terrace dating from around 1836, became 48 St Andrews Road before ending up as No 84 Queens Road.

What was the Cottage Inn, later the Palmerston, is now 75 Queens Road.